Ermida do Senhor do Bonfim

0 Comment(s)

The Chapel sea view is just a beautiful landscape
The Chapel of Our Lord of Bonfim is a small church was erected in 1780 which is on the island of Bonfim and was restored in 1970. The space is open only in the month of May, when processions and festivities take place with the right to food stalls, drink and music.

Information › Ermida do Senhor do Bonfim

The chapel was built in 1746 by the Confraternity of the Lord Jesus Bonfim, the congregation founded that same year and installed to remain here until its dissolution in 1850. The works lasted until 1749, having been directed by a master mason of Lisbon.

During the eighteenth century, continued the works at the shrine and the surrounding area, was then constructed houses of the hermit and the pilgrims and the collection of the corral for cattle. In fact, the chapel was, right from its inception, an important site of pilgrimage throughout the region. The main festivals were given on Thursday of Ascension, promoted by chamusquenses, and the day of St. Michael has already organized by the inhabitants of Goleg, especially by women, who were known as ceboleiras here.

In the same century, was also carried out works within the chapel, having been tiled floor, built the choir and the golden altar of the chancel, the latter intervention carried out by Valentino Baptista, Santarm. In the late eighteenth century, are applied ashlars tile of the nave and the sacristy.

In 1834, the law of extinction of goods from the dead hand of brotherhood makes life very difficult, which leads to its extinction in 1850. The walled courtyard at the bottom of the hill, opposite the chapel, is then turned into a graveyard, one of the first country to operate outside the church. The cemetery would remain here until the inauguration of the Municipal Cemetery in 1877.

In 1965, the chapel was the subject of works of conservation and recovery, promoted by a group led by poet chamusquenses Maria de Carvalho. During the years that lasted the Colonial War, the chapel was the subject of incessant pilgrimage by several families of soldiers, a fact still evident by the large number of votive gifts inside, especially in the sacristy.

Comments

Send your Comment

hotvsnot

Copyright 2012 AcheiViagem.com - All Rights Reserved 2012 | Forbidden reproduction or use of any content.