The Exchange Coffee Santos began construction in 1903, and was officially established in 1914 by Decree 1416, but with the outbreak of World War I, was only installed on May 2, 1917 and was established in order to house the Main Cafe and Commodities Exchange in the world. Santos was then the largest square coffee on the planet. The building is considered one of the most beautiful and Santos was the result of a French design inspired by Italian Renaissance, who won the Hall of Architecture of Paris in the 1st decade of the twentieth century. The execution of the work started in 1920 and the inauguration took place on September 7, 1922 as part of celebrations of the Centennial of Independence. The monumental building is in eclectic style, which can be observed influences of various architectural styles with three separate fronts: one in the street Friar Gaspar, facing the square tower Azevedo Junior and portico of the main entrance on the street fifteenth of November. The work is marked by the diversity of origin of building materials: cement and iron from England, France and floor tiles, marble from Italy, Spain and Greece and tiles from Germany. The interior of the building is also luxurious and refined, with crystals Belgian and French bronzes, all duly scattered in about 6000 meters of built area, with more than 200 doors and windows. The grand hall of the sessions is the stained glass ceiling "The vision of Anhanguera," Benedito Calixto designed by the painter. Three large panels of the same painter adorn the back wall: the most central, 153 figures, representing the Elevation of the Villa Santos, so dream, with the real part and the dream of clear progress in the future, blurred. The side panels, lower, shows the artist´s conception of the landscape of Santos in 1822 and 1922. In the four corners of each work, Calixto painted crests depicting the colonial Brazil, Brazil Brazil Empire and Republic, and the frames depicted the national fauna. The Official Coffee Exchange and Commodities peaked between 1917 and 1929, feeling quite the effects of global economic crisis started with the stock market crash in New York in 1929 that led to a gradual decrease in the activities of the bag Santos. It was closed indefinitely in 1937, and sometime later it was reopened but the decline continued in the coffee trade deteriorated. With the close of trading days in the late 1970s, the building was partially occupied by state offices, its state of disrepair prevented full occupancy. 1st floor of the building, worked for many years from the close of trading days until the end of the 1970s a fine restaurant in which were common to the regular meetings of various clubs such as Friends and Brothers 21 Rotary Club of Santos. On September 22, 1981, the building was listed by the Defense Council of Historical, Archaeological, Artistic and Tourism, the CONDEPHAAT, officially guaranteeing their preservation. Until the building be turned off in 1986, worked to publicize the price of coffee in the international market.
Copyright © 2012 AcheiViagem.com - All Rights Reserved 2012 | Forbidden reproduction or use of any content.