Central Public Market

0 Comment(s)

Information › Central Public Market

One of the main postcards of Porto Alegre, the Public Market celebrates 140 years of existence. With its walls and bars centenarians, the old market is a walk in memory of the history of the city, with its rich diversity of colors, flavors and products, with that typical service that only have markets.

The Republic had not even been proclaimed, just as slavery had not been abolished, but the market had already erected walls in distant 1869 in neoclassic style. The original approval of the project took place between 1862 and 1863 and was appointed a committee of City Council to accompany the works. The design engineer Frederick Heydtmann, provided one story. Quadrilateral in form, with towers at the corners and a central courtyard. Always under the responsibility of municipal government, the market soon became the largest and main supply center of the city. In 1871 begins the paving of the interior and two years later, afforestation.

The first butcher shops will be allowed only in 1874, the year he also begins to contemplate the construction of the second floor. However, the project is not carried forward. With economic growth, social and economic diversification of the late nineteenth century, the motion is resumed. But the budget approved by the City Council is only intended for building wooden chalets in the courtyard of Market. But besides warehouses, taverns, pubs, butchers, fruit and restaurants, the Market also owned barbershops, hotels, insurance and other services.

The market was located exactly between the Dock Fruit and Coal Dock on the banks of the Guaiba. The construction of the second floor, starts, finally in 1910 as a result of the First Plan Improvements to the city. The idea was to let the market at the same level of Quartermaster (town hall) built by his side and increase municipal revenue. In 1912, then, opened the second floor, with characteristics that defined the aesthetics that the building has today, especially on the facades. The new spaces upstairs, also known as "High Market", were designed to provide services, commercial offices and industrial services, and also government agencies.

Even in 1912, there was the first major fire which destroyed the stalls built of wood, later replaced by other metal structure, defining circulations internal courtyard. The fire caused a general rise in prices in the stalls of the market, which will be modernized: in 1914 it installed the first refrigerator and a year later the faade of the ground floor is modified to track innovations from upstairs.

The city is modernizing rapidly, with the opening of avenues, squares and embankments in the central area. Trams and the first car signaled the new era of the city, more cosmopolitos. In 1922 the works the Quayside are completed. And the port would be key to the development of the market. Give up the city a real "boom" housing, with numerous buildings. Square Parob also vital to the Market, opened in 1927.

From there begins the construction of large buildings, ushering in the vertical center of the city. In the mid-40s, offices begin to leave the second floor. Golden period of bohemia, that gathered up mainly in Treviso, a stronghold of musicians and intellectuals. Thereafter, the country (and city) would live large and deep social changes, economic and political. In managing engineer Telmo Thompson Flores, mayor appointed, attempts occur demolition Market, which would then be transferred to an Interim Market at Praa Rui Barbosa. In 1971 occurs an intense campaign in the city to preserve the Market. Population and media are mobilized. But the fight was still far from over.

Throughout its history, the Public Market has gone through many difficult times, as the flood of 41, the fires of 1912, 1972 and 1979. But the constant threat of demolition for the construction of boulevards or tunnels, finally ended in 1979 when the market was declared a Historical and Cultural Heritage of the City. However, the reality of the market was saturated, the stalls and the building grew inordinately gave clear signs of deterioration.

From the Tipping Market was preserved, though its physical structure still seriously threatened. And furthermore also no longer contained or accompanying the development of the city. At the beginning of the 90s the city organized a multidisciplinary team to develop the Restoration Project, which sought, in short, to preserve its history and aesthetics, improving their conditions of supply and maintaining what is one of its main features : spaces of sociability. The inner courtyard was redesigned almost all at the same time that we sought an integration between the ground floor and the upper floor, hitherto historically separated.

The retirement lasted seven years, during which most of the stalls remained in operation. The result was a building that has kept its main architectural features, redefining locations of bunkers and introduction of new and contemporary elements such as escalators and lifts, for example. But the main novelty was the cover, with a metallic structure, which linked harmoniously old and new and opened new living spaces.

Some places-references remained virtually intact with the reform, with the Naval Bar, one of the oldest Market (and the city) and the Bar Santos. After retirement the population earned more circulation space for shopping. Fish, fruits, vegetables, meat, mate, religious items, teas and many other typical products Market gained more exhibition space, showing the richness and diversity of the Old Market, which now completes 140 years.

Comments

Send your Comment

hotvsnot

Copyright 2012 AcheiViagem.com - All Rights Reserved 2012 | Forbidden reproduction or use of any content.